We made friends with each other. We say 'hi' when we meet. You ask me questions when you are doubtful about something, and I do the same. We ask each other for help. We get along fine. And I call you a friend.
But are you?
You are smart. You are intelligent. You always do well in exams.
You are a scholar.
But that's all you are.
Who are you to question me about why I didn't do well in my exams? That's my problem, not yours.
Who are you to mock me when I said I couldn't sleep after the exam? I was the one having nightmares, not you.
Who are you to imply that I should have done well in my exams? You are the one who felt the paper was easy, not me.
Who are you to imply that I am not as good as you just because I felt that I didn't do well? There's no harm in keeping it to yourself if you feel that way.
Who are you to look down on me just because of your misguided views? As far as I know, all forms of Pre-U are of the same standard.
You may have great taste in clothes. You know how to dress on different occasions. You have your opinion on what should be worn to different places.
Of course, you have a right to express your opinions.
But not at the expense of others.
Who are you to say that I should not wear this for this class? I have my own opinion on what I should or should not wear.
Who are you to imply that my dress style is weird when I didn't even ask for your opinion? It's a free world, and I can wear whatever I feel like.
We were classmates.
And right till the end, I childishly believed that classmates usually helped one another.
But now I know better.
The teacher asked you to pass the message to the whole class. But did you? You only informed your closest friends.
You had some materials with you, and I asked to borrow them. You acted as if they are top secret materials and asked me not to let anyone see it. Is this the way classmates behave?
You said we could borrow some materials from you, but that you have promised someone else first. We foolishly waited, thinking that you would pass it to us when you got it back. But did you? We had to ask it from you for so many times, and you gave us the impression that you were reluctant to share it with us.
You had some materials which would have been useful to all of us. You shared the materials. But with who? Only friends of the same academic status as you. And we, who were looked down upon, were kept in the dark till the end.
We were friends. And I didn't think otherwise.
But now I may have to rethink.
You seem to be friends only when you have something to gain from me.
When I am unable to help you, you cease to be my friend.
Who are you to demand that I do things for you when you don't even talk to me otherwise?
Who are you to act all snobbish with me when you feel that my results are not as good as yours?
Who are you to dispose of me when you are done using me?
We were classmates.
We were friends.
That's what I've thought of you all along.
But do you really see me as your classmate, your friend?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment